- Biotechnology is the study of all processes involving life cells or enzymes for the transformation and production of certain substances.
- The life sciences involve the research, development, and marketing of products, technologies, and services on the basis of modern biotechnology.
- Biomolecules which can bind active agents are called targets. They can be receptors, enzymes or ion channels. If agent and target interact with each other the term agent-target-specific effect is used. The identification of targets is very important in biomedical and pharmaceutical research because a specific interaction can help to understand basic biomolecular processes. This is essential to identify new points of application.
The Baden-Württemberg healthcare industry
Baden-Württemberg – the land of startups
Setting up an independent company is an excellent way to turn innovative life sciences solutions into successful new products and services. Baden-Württemberg is highly attractive for business startups. As one of the leading German states in the fields of healthcare and biotechnology, Baden-Württemberg has an attractive and stimulating environment for those seeking to set up their own company. Baden-Württemberg has a high density of innovative companies, application-oriented research institutions and suppliers, all of which are potentially interesting cooperation partners for startups.
The Baden-Württemberg government is constantly striving to offer new and attractive incentives for new companies. In this context, the country has created attractive offers. An overview of the most interesting offers and programs for Life Sciences founders can be found below. An overview of the start-up state of Baden-Württemberg and other supporting organizations can be found on the startup bw website.
- Innovation Vouchers, in particular coupon B for innovative start-up companies in the high-tech area. www.innovationsgutscheine.de
- Young Innovator grants: The Young Innovators funding programme is a successful initiative run by the Baden-Württemberg government, and is similar to the federal EXIST funding programme. It supports start-ups from universities and non-university research institutions in setting up their own business. Information about current calls is available at:
BIOPRO Baden-Württemberg GmbH is the central point of contact in Baden-Württemberg for issues relating to the state's healthcare industry and bioeconomy activities. BIOPRO proposes a wide range of measures to support company founders in these and related sectors. More information.
- EXI Start-up Voucher: Two-stage consulting programme for people interested in establishing their own business/company founders in the high-tech sectors. The programme provides comprehensive support, starting with an initial evaluation of the startup project, through to advice on available funding programmes and issues such as business models, business plans and financing. BIOPRO Baden-Württemberg is the contact point for founders of life sciences start-ups. More information.
- Start-up Accelerators: Six accelerator programmes support early stage startups and future entrepreneurs in various thematic areas. Biotechnology, pharma and medical technologies is adressed by the Life Science-Accelerator Baden-Württemberg. Further accelerators focus e.g. on energy, green economy, sustainability, IT.
Financing tools for startup projects and young companies
Financial support for start-up projects once public funding has come to an end is an important aspect that company founders working to successfully establish a company need to take into account. Baden-Württemberg has developed a broad range of different tools to help in the successful establishment of startups.
In addition to the afore mentioned funding programmes, there are several regional agencies providing startup funding. Baden-Württemberg also has a vibrant business angel community.